More From Tenri
So today I found out that Tenri is the start of the oldest road in Japan and it starts at the base of a shrine and takes you down paths flanked by cedar trees to more shrines, cemeteries and even a few ancient tombs. I will be taking this hike very soon maybe even this weekend, weather permitting. There are many old shrines and temples around making this place a perfect spot for me to have one of my classes in. I can show up early in the morning and tour around before heading off to teach!.jpg)


Okay, so remember I mentioned those people wearing the same uniform at the Tenrikyo temple yesterday? Well these people are everywhere. Tenri is the holiest of places for the religion's followers and many flock here to visit and other stay for extended periods of teaching. These same outfit wearing folk are everywhere and most of them I have seen around town have been in their teens.
On the fence above is the logo I mentioned seeing on their clothes. It is a symbol for the Tenrikyo religion.
This little shrine rests near my school by a man made canal and a rusty water pump. Seeing these shrines now has become the equivalent of seeing newspaper boxes on street corners back home. They pop up everywhere. I found myself leaning on a medium sized shrine I thought was a garbage can today. Yikes! The Gods must not be too fond of me.