Thursday, October 4, 2007

Impromptu English Lessons, Five Cents Please

Being a native English speaker in Japan, a foreigner, a Gajin, has its ups and downs. You may find you are the recipient of many train ride stares. Some people may change seats and even cars as sadly people fear cultural differences the world over. Other times you may be followed by strange men in horn-rimmed glasses for the purpose of study, as though you were caged or under a microscope and those this fascination is faltering it is no less creepy. Then there are the moments where you get smiles, large beaming smiles, from grocery clerks or people on the street. They seem to say “Welcome” “Enjoy our country” and if ever you get the chance to speak to those offering you such a warm greeting (as I did a week and a half ago when I meet that wonderful elderly couple) you may be met with inquisitive conversation and soft spoken dialogue where you will exchange cultural differences in a light hearted nature. I think back to some women at the bar down the street asking me repeatedly if I ate lots of sushi in Canada. Then come the random English lessons, my favorite moments of interaction with the Japanese. You see being a teacher here doesn’t necessarily limit your language abilities to classroom lessons. I’ve found this out at least once a month and you can always see them coming.

Learning English in Japan despite all the language schools still seems to me to be a novelty for the Japanese comparable to a Canadian taking Spanish classes back home. The importance of the language is stressed but not exactly necessary to your life should you decide to reside in your home country. Surly, like Spanish in Canada, a Japanese person could certainly live their entire life and not find themselves in a situation where the knowing a different language is imperative. I’ve been told that parents will often enroll their kids into English language schools like the one I work for as it signifies a social statues. In other words, parents can flaunt the fact that their kids are learning English. I like to believe that these types are minorities and most parents are out for the betterment of their kids but I look at a lot of the kids I teach, how their homework is never done, their flashcards are never practiced and their parents never leave their cars when it is time for pick up and I have to wonder. Still there are many that must enjoy their newfound language abilities as is shown by random English lessons. As a foreigner these tests can come from anywhere and anybody although usually they come from young people and in my experience mainly men although I am sure for women foreigners they get a lot of these random tests from both sexes.

Today, while going through a turnstile, I was met with the usual Japanese thanks from the station staff but then came: “…and thank you. Thank you.” I turned and saw a young man in the normal garb of a station worker. He was smiling a wide smile that showed some pride. He was practicing his English. I replied: “Thank you to.” “You are welcome,” he returned, his smile growing larger. This was but a short instance. Other times I have been sitting on a train and towards me lumbers somebody, usually a kid in his neatly pressed school uniform, with that big smile and I know a random lesson is about to begin. He (only once has there been a she) will sit next to me and things will be silent between us for about five minutes. It does take a bit of bravery to engage a stranger in conversation especially if you don’t know the language. Picture yourself trying to strike up a topical repartee in Punjabi with somebody on the subway only having acquired a basic foundation of the language. Though some choose to dive right into the pool most I’ve encounter will muster up a little courage before trying to talk to me and the first sentence is generally a strange one right from a series of flashcards. “How’s the weather?” or “I am Japanese. Are you American?” and once “Do you like Japanese food?” are ice breakers I’ve encountered while traveling to and from work. You never know how much English the other person knows so I always baby step into these conversations with answers like: “It’s cloudy” or “No, I am Canadian. Do you know much English?” or “I love ramen. Do you like Western food?” Sometimes I’ll be met with blank stares, a polite excuse me and the person will be silent for the rest of the ride. Generally once they’ve take it this far they will see a conversation through and suddenly you are in the middle of a lesson. It is not uncommon to be asked many forward questions, as previously discussed, and also not unusual to be ask for proper pronunciation or sentence structuring from your new student. I wish all of my students were this receptive to learning the language. I wonder if setting up a booth like Lucy in the Peanuts strip would be popular. Random English 5 cents! I could set it up outside of train stations and offer single lines of dialogue for a nickel. “A pineapple never gives up. Five cents please.”