Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Long Division

If you took all of the hours that I’m not with you
And replaced with the moments I’ve spent wishing that I was
They would supercede all the negativity
Possibly perceived by my absence
But nothing could outweigh
The sum of all this missing
Despite all of the wishing
Without you the scales show no balance
In addition to the reasons subtracting you from me
Are multiples of my ambitions, right or wrong
But I promise the division won’t be long

If you gathered all the miles I’ve placed between us
And traded them for roads that I’ve built leading back to you
Distances would narrow, all the signs and arrows
Would point towards the core of our connection
Miles will gather memories
Bridges crossed and burned
Wisdom lost and earned
Through every steadfast step or misdirection
And in addition to the reasons subtracting me from you
Are multiples of my ambitions, right or wrong
So I promise the division won’t be long

I’ve laid a couple bricks
In the wall that stands between us
I’ll probably place down a couple more
And though the wall is thick
Between every other brick
The blueprints I’ve ignored
And instead I’ve built a door

If I collected all my tears and tribulations
If I tried not to sequester the regrets
I’d be but a fraction of my illusions and my actions
Shackled to a self I couldn’t properly maintain
So I’m carefully concealing the emotions
Within the webs that I’ll keep weaving
Within the dreams that I’ll keep dreaming
And in the center you’re the constant that continues to remain
In addition to the reasons subtracting me from you
Are multiples of my ambitions, right or wrong
But I promise the division
Yes I promise the division
I promise this division won’t be long