Summer School Hell – Layer VI – Realm Of The Brothers of Disruption
Oh the sweet smell of nature…that is if you consider the high pitched buzzing of hundreds of insects at 7am sweet. I rescind my original comparison that the sound produced by these bugs was like a thousand blenders on the fritz with cats inside those blenders. Upon more aural dissection I will now say that these buzzing tree alarm clocks with wings now resemble more a couple thousand lawn sprinklers converged into one small area and cranked to heaviest spray. I was able to get a look at one of these suckers the other day and I can report with fearful certainty that they have to be spawns of Mothra. I didn’t think anything could be bigger then the cockroaches I’ve be chasing around the apartment and then I saw that beetle. Then I didn’t think anything could be bigger then that beetle and nothing has been bigger then that beetle but the Mothra tree alarm clock bug has to be the largest flying insect I’ve ever seen. Wait, does that big beetle fly? Damn you internet for not being useful when I need you to be? Anyway, the semi was pretty damn big. Moving on to the supposed typhoon that is likely to strike tomorrow there are still no signs of such a storm. The sky was a little more gray today but as I write this now just after midnight there hasn’t even been a breeze let alone hurricane like gales. Classes today were not as smooth as yesterday’s lessons. Despite only having one student, which you’d expect would extremely simplify things, the mother of said students has carted along two siblings each lesson day. Sibling number one is maybe three years of age and like most young Japanese boys he has a fascination with violence be it through kicking or punching. I must make an easy target. These kids always seem to want to obliterate me. The other sibling is an infant no more then a few months old. Both siblings were cranky today and ate up the bulk of the mother’s time. Considering that I am supposed to include the mother into the lesson I was constantly trying to think up ways around the bratty kids. This mother is supposed to hop and jump and dance and sing with her child. Sentences in our lessons have been written specifically for the parents so that they can interact with their kids. This mother today wasn’t standing or dancing or singing. She was tending to crying kids. Her tactic was the offer them candy route, a path I never fully agree with when it comes to child rearing. It as if you are rewarding the bad behavior simple for your own peace. I rank this up there with the threats that never bear any fruit. Maybe those little candies the mother was giving the kids were sleeping pills and it was her candy coated sedation trickery that would deliver her that peace. Nope. The kid now was just hoped up on sugar running around, jumping on tables, kicking, throwing and screaming. His sister, my student, was understandably unfocused today. She would get up and wander, roll around and generally attempt to mimic her brother. I know that parents may have to cart other kids to our summer school lessons for one reason or another and children that age are nearly impossible to get sitting still for an hour unless you have a dart of some sorts laced with a tranquilizer of some sorts. When the baby started wailing I was forced to raise my voice which didn’t do much good as my student was now in another galaxy. When she did pay attention she was very smart and there is a great feeling of satisfaction when you see stuff you have taught sticking. She remembered some stuff from yesterday but also some things from our regular lessons. She was also an adorable button of a girl. The Brothers of Disruption were quieter close to the end of the lesson. I put on a video for the older one and handed him over magnets, blocks, anything to get him away from his sister. Really not much to report today. This is the 10th time I have done some of these lessons and it is now a cakewalk. I could do it blindfolded if I wasn’t so afraid I’d crash into a homicidal priest named Tom. Only six more classes to go. Stand here on the sixth layer looking up today I see nothing. Why do I see nothing? Because I can hardly keep my eyes open. On the train back after class I feel into one of my Japanese train travel comas and nearly missed my stop. Yup, standing here on the sixth layer looking up my vision suddenly clears and I can see my bed. Damn fine sight. Goodnight all.