Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Insomnia

Main Entry: in·som·nia
Pronunciation: in-'säm-nE-&
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from insomnis sleepless, from in- + somnus sleep -- more at SOMNOLENT
: prolonged and usually abnormal inability to obtain adequate sleep
- in·som·ni·ac /-nE-"ak/ adjective or noun
(Source: Webster's Dictionary. Ha, I didn't know the kid that hid out in the clock looking for creepy dolls wrote a dictonary!)

This last week and a half you can place me up there with that definition because sleep and me have parted ways for the time being. It is not an amicable split. I didn't want to leave but sleep stormed out the door taking with it a suitcase of nights for which to deprive me of itself. I started to believe that the bed I had crafted out of the couch here was the cause of my sleeping discomforts and the reasons why I couldn't fully go under. The couch was not the most stable of beds as it moved and split into it's various pieces throughout the night and I am always having to rearrange in the morning. I moved everything to the floor but that didn't help. Finally, I put the couch back to it's normal state but that didn't help. . I’ve been here before. Insomnia is a weird state to be in, is it not? At times I am so zonked in the night I think I am actually sleeping when I am really awake. I flail about seeking better sleeping positions, inventing a few new ones and ultimately surrender to stillness. I also shed from the looks of things in the morning. I usually wake up to a pillow full of loose hairs. I guess I am just going to have to ride this out and hope I don’t render myself bald in the process.