Saturday, March 10, 2007

A Poem For The Yagi Foriegners

‘Twas on the train car this early morning
My eyes still sleep filled and mouth wide yawning

When through the window I spied something peculiar
Was this the milky white skin of a Yagi foreigner?

It could not be. My eyes must deceive
I’d read of their existence but I did not believe

I had not spied these fabled creatures until this very day
But off this one raced to catch a train going another way

He was a giant of a man and he carried a red pack
I wanted to scream and shout for the foreigner to come back

Where was he from and why was he here
So many things to ask him before he disappeared

And it was as if he was never there at all
Maybe I had dreamt this stranger so tall

My train pulled away and off to work I did ride
Wondering just where all the Yagi foreigners hide

For Yagi foreigners to me where things found in folk tales
Like leprechauns and dragons and the legendary Grail

They did not exist, I stubbornly thought
Like that beast dwelling in that dark Scottish loch

One does not see myths often, this is true
And surly my encounters with Yagi foreigners were through

But believe it or not it happened again
The next morning I stumbled on a flock of foreign friends

There they all stood at the train station gate
Three men and one woman all worried they were late

They were teachers as well, I overheard
As I stood there behind them without saying a word

For what do you say on a morning so fine
To the fab four foreigners you thought you’d never find?

I suppose much could have been said to the quartet so lost
But I just glanced upward to see what my ticket might cost

The foursome moved on and I was left feeling foolish
You see I’m not known to be reticent and sheepish

But I know they exist and out there they walk
And maybe the next time I will stop to talk

Or find them in the darts bar where they are said to roam
Sloshing down a few sakes before heading on home

So to all you Yagi foreigners who feel alone in the night
Know there are others like you who relate to your plight

I hope to meet you again on a day fresh and new
But until we come to that day this poem is for you