The War On The Weather
In this day and age there is always something to be at war with. The War on Terror. The War on Christmas. The War on Drugs. The War on Sandra Bullock For Still Having A Career. Yes there is always a machine to rage against and today I declared my own personal jihad on the weather of Japan. Oh, come now, don’t look at me like that. The weather of Japan started it, taunted me, goaded me into battle. Let’s examine the evidence of this claim, shall we? This month has been mostly gray, wet and cold…except for the days I am working. The sun is out and beaming when I am chasing little kids around a small room all day but give me a day off and out come the clouds, huge and looming, to spoil any planed outings. Sure, not all of these days have been raining and, in fact, there has been only a few days of rain, but the conditions have not been very kind to me and my camera. So here we have the weather flaunting it’s beauty on days when I cannot enjoy and getting all PMS’y on days when I can. Then you have yesterday where I figured the weather would continue the trend of gloominess and out came the sun without a cloud in the sky. Figuring the worst of the dreary days were behind me I chose to turn in early last night and wake up at the crack of dawn with an eye on some ancient burial mounds my the Kashihara Shrine. I pulled a piece of Nostradamus aside and there was a beautiful blue sky to great me. Birds were singing in the trees. The sun was shining. All was right with the world. Finally after so many days of nefarious and inclement conditions for photographic walks I was given a fine day of sunlight. The chill had left the air and my cold was clearing up. Things could not be better. I tossed on my MP3 player, threw in a fresh set of batteries in the ol’ S2 and was out the door and into the morning.
And then I noticed them…
As though sensing I had a day off and was about to utilize it in harmonious oneness which beautiful nature, the large gray clouds started their slow approach towards me. No, this can not be! How can it be so blue and lovely here but so terribly dismal over there. Yes, yes, it all has to do with meteorology but I think there is more to it then that. You see, I decided to see how far I could get. Maybe these clouds would pass or perhaps they were moving in another direction or maybe they would keep up their slow progression towards Yagi long enough for me to have at least a morning of sunlight. Before making the longer walk to the burial mounds I decided to return to Imaicho, the Yedo period village I visited a short time ago to have select photos ruined by lack of sky definition. With the blue above I was sure to be able to snap off a few of those photos I had wanted to take on my first visit.
But, could this be? Were the clouds approaching faster now? Curse this blasted environment. I walked faster, racing the clouds to the narrow streets of Imaicho. I was a man possessed by some demon of photography. My camera bag slapped against my thigh as I pushed onward at a more rapid pace down the main street near the train station. Bikes and cars and old ladies and baby strollers all tried to embed me but I maneuvered around them with the avoidance capabilities of Emmitt Smith. Keep your eye on the prize, man, your eye on the prize. Coffee, I needed fuel, but I could not risk the time it would take to stop and pop a buck into a vending machine. No, I would have to run on sheer determination to beat the swiftly approaching clouds.






I made it to Imaicho still with a blue sky overhead and set about madly racing to the spots I wanted to photography but the clouds had doubled their efforts to defeat me and in the end the gray hovered over me like Goliath. I did not have a slingshot to hurl stones upwards. All I had was the camera and I was not about to throw that. I had only managed a few shots before the weather once again put a damper on my day. The chill and gloom was back but I had managed to at least get better shots of the long streets leading around the village and some better images of some of the old homes.







When the sun disappeared I started to walk back but on my way found two more Yedo Period homes that were open to the public and I had not been in on my last visit. Inside one of the homes I took a few shots and the caretaker put on the lights for me so I could get a better view. Maybe she was a photographer herself. I’m sure we were both cursing the weather. For me it was for the photos and for her it was the lack of tourists to visit her small shop to purchase postcards, sweets and other small trinkets she was selling.

I was also able to get around the construction at the red shrine and get a shot before the gray set in and, wouldn’t you know it, there was another cat following me around. I am not allowed to have pets in my apartment, company rules, but should I ever need the companionship of a furry friend all I need do is take a walk to a shrine and out the cats come as though I had a can of tuna in my pocket.
On the way home it started to rain, an exclamation point that the weather would not be thwarted by the likes of me. I was back inside the apartment only an hour and a half after I had left it. I made some breakfast with the food I have left slicing up some potatoes, breaking a few eggs and frying up some ham. But wait a moment. It suddenly was very bright in my kitchen. Had I accidentally hit the light switch? No, it was off. I threw open the door and there I faced the blue sky and bright sunlight yet again. The weather was taunting me! I walked out in my socks to look far off towards the site of the burial mounds and there the sky was as gray as ever and the break in the clouds looked only to be a momentary one as more clouds moved towards me. The weather just wanted to show me what I was missing! I went back inside, downed a cup of coffee and stewed in frustration. I went online to check the forecast. Sure enough it was supposed to be sunny today.
Yes, the fact was undeniable now. The weather was against me…not entire populace of Japan but just me. It had signaled me out and now held a personal vendetta an upheld it’s loathing of me by flaunting it’s meteorological muscle. The clouds would remain for the rest of the day and small showers would continue into the evening dashing even the smallest of excursions. The weather had won. Truly, this was a mighty adversary. However, mark my word, weather, you have not heard the last of me. You see, I am now onto your plans to destroy my days with your wretchedness. You may have won this day’s battle but I am one of the most determined Homo Sapiens you will ever shower your misery upon. Keep testing me with your gray days and I will rent myself a spotlight to blaze into your bleakness. You have asked for it and now you, weather, have made my shit list. It is to be war between us. Choose your weapon. Lighting? I scoff at your feeble bolts knowing that they will not strike twice. Rain? I will use multiple umbrellas! Do your worst, weather, I am ready. Bring it on!